Skip to main content

Monster Mash Volume. 1

Can't even shout
Can't even cry
The Gentlemen are coming by
Looking in windows
Knocking on doors
They need to take seven
And they might take yours
Can't call to Mom
Can't say a word
You're going to die screaming
But you won't be heard

Hello! I very much enjoy discussing my book with you, as well as publishing and literature in general. However, I also love monsters. And so, I cannot help but also want to share some of my favorite monsters with you. I have come across some truly incredible monsters in literature. But T.V. and film have also been huge influences. 

Without further ado, I would like to introduce you to, The Gentlemen. The Gentlemen appeared in season 4, episode 10 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The episode was called "Hush" and it aired on December 14, 1999. The episode in its entirety is a masterpiece. I love every moment of it from start to finish.

I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon's, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. If you hate the show, look away now. One of my favorite things about the series is its originality and creativity. Yes, vampires are a focal point. However, the show also has a fabulous "monster of the week" setup. The series is full of new monsters and original lore. I adore the scoobies getting together to research a new demon, spirit, or spell. Well done Sir Whedon! 

As soon as they eerily levitated onto the screen, I immediately fell in love with The Gentlemen. They are hands down one of my favorite original monsters that appeared in the series. To start with, they are creepy as hell to look at. I have to take a moment to applaud the makeup that was done on the actors. It was topnotch and holds up today. Metallic teeth, check. Evil eyes, check. Exaggerated maniacal grins, check, check! The elongated bone structure, bald heads, and pale skin made them look bizarre and nonhuman. To top it all off, the Gentlemen are wearing pristine suits and float above the ground, very slowly. It is dreamlike and bone chilling. Their movements are graceful and purposeful, yet polite, clearing indicating intention without words. The actors were professional mimes and the effect was powerful. One of my favorite moments is when a Gentlemen carves out his victims heart and his fellow Gentlemen tilt their heads and politely applaud, clapping silently. I mean, if that doesn't make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, well, you may not have a soul. 

As a monster fan, I am a little picky. You can't just give me awesome monster makeup. I need a good story to go with it. And the Gentlemen deliver. In one of my favorite scenes of the episode, Giles gives a silent presentation explaining who the Gentlemen are and why they have come to Sunnydale. The scene is clever and smart, filled with the well known humor that makes the series so special. Giles explains that they are fairytale monsters. They come into a town and steal all of the voices so no one can scream. They need seven hearts. No sword can kill them. According to the lore, a princess screamed and they died. Only a real human voice can kill them. 

Ahhhh.....perfection.

Allow me to paint the picture for you- Buffy and her friends wake up to find that they cannot speak. Their voices and the voices of everyone in the town are gone. An eerie silence descends on the Sunndydale. The sun goes down, night falls. And the Gentlemen float onto the screen. The music playing is dreamlike and ethereal. The Gentlemen are accompanied by several lackeys, their "muscle".. twisted looking guys in straight jackets. The first victim ; a poor college kid. The Gentlemen knock on the door. The kid of course opens it. The straight jacket lackeys tackle him onto the bed and hold him down. The Gentlemen float into the room and pull a scalpel out of a snappy leather bag. They proceed to cut his heart out, all while grinning and gesturing politely. The kid of course is screaming at the top of his lungs, oh but no one can hear him because his voice is gone. I mean come on! Is that not the creepiest thing ever?! Disturbing. Twisted. Scary as hell. Like I said, perfection

And the cherry on top.... the Gentlemen store all of the hearts and stolen voices in a very gothic looking belfry. This is the site of the final showdown where Buffy smashes the box, gets her voice back, and screams at the top of her lungs. The Gentlemen's heads explode, like rotten fruit being smashed. So good.

If you love Buffy the Vampire slayer, you know what I am gushing about. If you don't, just watch this one episode, okay? You will thank me later. It won awards and stuff. I'm serious, google it. You can find every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu.
And that's a wrap for The Gentlemen. They have a special place in my monster loving heart. I hope you have enjoyed this post and I hope you go watch Hush immediately. 

Image result for the gentlemen buffy the vampire slayer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spooky Tales From Cassadaga, #1 Game Time

  Sutton entered the bathroom, the lights a dim yellow glow against sage green walls. One of the lights flickered, the fractured electricity crackling. A large mosquito buzzed in the upper corner of the wall, its wings an erratic flutter. Sutton walked down the line of sinks and mirrors, stopping  in front of the one that called to her….the very last one along the wall. Her light green eyes lifted, studying the reflective glass. She placed her hands on the sink, and let a slow breath out through her lips.     The excited thrum of the football game echoed in the distance. Tonight was the first home game of the season, Ivy Hawn’s Wild Cats vs. Kreagon High’s Timber Wolves. The sound of the Ivy Hawn marching band carried on hot humid air. Hundreds of feet stomped on bleachers, creating a rumbling thunder made of metal and sneakers. Sutton ignored the clamor, tightening her grip on the sink, her gaze never breaking from the mirror. Despite the danger that awaited her, Sutton’s heart beat s

Elle Lewis geeks out with Michael Sturgis!

Why do you like SF/F? ​SF/F - good SF/F - hurts.  It makes me ache.  When I come to the end of a title, and have to close the door on the world that I was visiting, I immediately feel homesick.  Then comes the longing, as I'm forced to wait for the next in the series to (hopefully) be published.  The genres wouldn't hurt if I didn't love them.  I like SF/F for the secret loves that they're able to spark in me. What book got you hooked in the genre? WIZARD'S FIRST RULE by Terry Goodkind What is your favorite book to film adaptation and why? My answer to this wouldn't be very original. I'm sure Peter Jackson would jump to mind for many Fantasy readers. I'd rather answer this question in reverse: my favorite film to book adaptation.  The answer is PAN'S LABYRINTH.  The movie is of course breathtaking.  Images and creatures from that film burn into your brain with the very first viewing.  Over the summer, Guillermo del Toro

Elle Lewis geeks out with fantasy author, David McDaniel!

Why do you like SF/F? What book got you hooked in the genre? The Sword of Shannara most likely. Lord of the Rings directly afterward. Shh little secret. I read the Hobbit many years before that and it did not hook me into fantasy. I remember at the time thinking it was a kid’s book. Which I know it really was written for Tolkein’s kids, but I didn’t like it.   In high school I read Michael Moorcock’s Elric books because I loved the Black Soulsucking sword Stormbringer. What is your favorite book to film adaptation and why? I guess it would have to be The Lord of the Rings because it is done so well. I really can’t say that for Game of Thrones though. Don’t get me wrong, I love both the books and the HBO series, but the books have so much detail in them, the story lines go so deep and the HBO series, as good as it is, misses so much. I really don’t know how anyone who hasn’t read the books can really know what is going on. If you could live in a fictional world, which would