Skip to main content

Elle Lewis geeks out with Fantasy author and book blogger- Anca Antoci!


Why do you like SF/F?
I like SF/F because
it expands beyond the limits of reality and lets you imagine anything is
possible. I appreciate this freedom. 
What book got you hooked in the genre?
The first fantasy novel I read was ‘Dead until Dark’ by Charline Harris and I loved it so much that I binged read the whole series and started to research other books in the
same genre.
What is your favorite book to film adaptation and why?
I haven’t seen many
movies that do justice to the books, but Silence of the Lambs would make the
cut. Unlike most movies, Silence of the Lambs Kept quite close to the book.
What makes it fascinating and unnerving is the ‘quid pro quo’ Clarice has to
allow a sadistic serial killer to get inside her head for him to help her catch
another killer. The dichotomy is unsettling because it shows that a
psychopathic devious serial killer that is also helpful, giving wise advice to
the hero. He’s also protective of Clarice and when an inmate insults her,
Hannibal gets inside his head and makes him commit suicide.

If you could live in a fictional world, which would you choose and
why?
It’s probably a cliché answer but a Harry Potter world would be nice because I want to go to magic school! My second choice would be the Marvel universe but only if I get to be a superhero, everyone else seems to be collateral damage.
If you could wield and be proficient with a fictional weapon, which would you chose and why?
Or would you rather practice magic? And if so, what is your favorite set of
magic laws from a Fantasy book?
I’d love to be a
witch. Magic is great! 
What is your greatest pet peeve while reading a book?
My greatest pet
peeve is when others interrupt me while I’m reading. I get completely drawn
into a story and I don’t appreciate being abruptly pulled out of it.


Who is your favorite antagonist in a book or movie? Why?
Probably Hannibal Lecter from Silence of the Lambs. He’s a fascinating villain because despite being a psychopath serial killer, due to his superior intellect, sheer will and manipulative traits you end up rutting for him. If that doesn’t make you question your own morality, I don’t know what would!


What do you geek out over?
So many things! The first thing that comes to mind is book covers.


Do you like maps in Fantasy books? Why?
Not really! I know it’s an unpopular belief because most fantasy lovers swoon over such maps. I don’t have a great memory and I would have to check the map often to see what happens where. I would find that very distracting, I’d rather imagine it by myself. Who cares if I imagine it differently than the author intended?


How did you hear about Dark Touch?
I was browsing Netgalley and the cover and title drew my attention. I clicked to see more details and I found the blurb intriguing, so I requested it! I have no regrets.


Are you a fan of Horror? If yes, what type and what are some of your favorite books/authors/movies?
Yes! Although I haven’t read any horror books in a long time. As far as reading goes, I was a late bloomer. As a kid, I hated reading mostly because my parents forced me to read. So, I read the minimum required for school. My first year of college was when discovered that I enjoyed reading. A friend loaned me a book by John Saul. I don’t remember the title but told me how much she loved it and wanted to share it with me. I enjoyed it so much, that I ended up reading it in one sitting. It was a really thick book, so I was up until 4:00 am. My friend was happy I loved it and told me she had more.


What do you like about Urban Fantasy?
I like how much it resembles the real world but with a kick: magic, creatures whatever it takes to make it interesting.


Do you have a question for Elle Lewis?
What was your hardest scene to write so far? Why?
Lewis: The hardest scene for me to write so far is from book two, Genesis Rising. *Spoiler Alert* If you haven't read it yet, look away!
The Chapters Storm Front & Destroyer were incredibly difficult to write. The challenge was to write a fast-paced action scene, while also incorporating the changes going on in Sloan's body as a result of so much Dark Energy surging into her body. But what made it even more difficult is that Sloan didn't quite understand what was happening to her. As the author, I knew exactly what was happening- Genesis Energy became activated and her entire body changed on a cellular level. Sloan was essentially unmade and then remade. But she didn't know that. I had to describe it from the perspective what she felt. Of course, she was confused and afraid. But what would it feel like to have your cells ripped apart and then fused back together?
These two chapters took an extremely long time to write and went through many edits. Probably the most out of all three books.
The other chapters that were challenging but in a fun way, is also from Genesis Rising-Andromeda & Fate. This is the final showdown between Sloan and Darrow. Writing a final battle sequence in another Galaxy was incredibly fun. But… I wanted it to feel real and organic, not cheesy. And I wanted to make sure the reader felt satisfied in Darrow's end. He deserved payback from Sloan! Constructing these chapters also took many edits, until they had the feel that I wanted- gritty, epic & violent. I hope I succeeded!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elle Lewis geeks out with Michael Sturgis!

Why do you like SF/F? ​SF/F - good SF/F - hurts.  It makes me ache.  When I come to the end of a title, and have to close the door on the world that I was visiting, I immediately feel homesick.  Then comes the longing, as I'm forced to wait for the next in the series to (hopefully) be published.  The genres wouldn't hurt if I didn't love them.  I like SF/F for the secret loves that they're able to spark in me. What book got you hooked in the genre? WIZARD'S FIRST RULE by Terry Goodkind What is your favorite book to film adaptation and why? My answer to this wouldn't be very original. I'm sure Peter Jackson would jump to mind for many Fantasy readers. I'd rather answer this question in reverse: my favorite film to book adaptation.  The answer is PAN'S LABYRINTH.  The movie is of course breathtaking.  Images and creatures from that film burn into your brain with the very first viewing.  Over the summer, Guillermo del Toro

Spooky Tales From Cassadaga, #1 Game Time

  Sutton entered the bathroom, the lights a dim yellow glow against sage green walls. One of the lights flickered, the fractured electricity crackling. A large mosquito buzzed in the upper corner of the wall, its wings an erratic flutter. Sutton walked down the line of sinks and mirrors, stopping  in front of the one that called to her….the very last one along the wall. Her light green eyes lifted, studying the reflective glass. She placed her hands on the sink, and let a slow breath out through her lips.     The excited thrum of the football game echoed in the distance. Tonight was the first home game of the season, Ivy Hawn’s Wild Cats vs. Kreagon High’s Timber Wolves. The sound of the Ivy Hawn marching band carried on hot humid air. Hundreds of feet stomped on bleachers, creating a rumbling thunder made of metal and sneakers. Sutton ignored the clamor, tightening her grip on the sink, her gaze never breaking from the mirror. Despite the danger that awaited her, Sutton’s heart beat s

Elle Lewis geeks out with fantasy author, David McDaniel!

Why do you like SF/F? What book got you hooked in the genre? The Sword of Shannara most likely. Lord of the Rings directly afterward. Shh little secret. I read the Hobbit many years before that and it did not hook me into fantasy. I remember at the time thinking it was a kid’s book. Which I know it really was written for Tolkein’s kids, but I didn’t like it.   In high school I read Michael Moorcock’s Elric books because I loved the Black Soulsucking sword Stormbringer. What is your favorite book to film adaptation and why? I guess it would have to be The Lord of the Rings because it is done so well. I really can’t say that for Game of Thrones though. Don’t get me wrong, I love both the books and the HBO series, but the books have so much detail in them, the story lines go so deep and the HBO series, as good as it is, misses so much. I really don’t know how anyone who hasn’t read the books can really know what is going on. If you could live in a fictional world, which would